Ask any women what part of her body she cherishes most and hair would definitely land in the top three. While some are blessed with naturally soft, silky hair (thanks to a genetic pool of people with amazing hair), others find themselves in constant battle with it day-in and day-out. And these women spend easily upwards of half an hour every morning trying to get their naughty locks to behave. They also dish out unbelievable amounts of money on it by going to salons and whatnot.
Well, if you are one of these people, not to worry! There are a few things that you can do at home (or not do) that will help take care of your hair better. And the best part about it is that you won’t have to spend any money at all!
Here are 5 tips & tricks to get long and luscious hair at home.
1. Homemade Hair Masks
Hair masks are something that you can do right at home with just a little bit of effort. Think about it, its the same thing you’re getting at a salon, but with way less chemicals and you can also save a lot of money. There are many ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen that can be used to make hair masks. Each of them give you different benefits.
Here are a few recipes that you can try:
– Yogurt & Olive Oil Mask
This mask comes in two parts: the lemon rinse and yogurt-oil conditioner. The first part of it helps clean out impurities and balances the pH balance of your scalp, which gives your locks a natural shimmer. Yogurt and oil are great conditioners and help stop hair fall and breakage, which is essential when it comes to healthy hair growth.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups Water
- Mix the oil and yogurt in a bowl and set it aside.
- Combine the lemon juice and water in a jug.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and squeeze out the excess water.
- Apply the yogurt-oil hair mask to your damp hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the yogurt mask with cool or lukewarm water.
- Follow this up by rinsing your hair with the lemon water.
– Banana Hair Mask
Bananas are not just good for eating, they also provide lots of benefits to your hair when applied as a mask! Bananas are a rich source of Vitamins, antioxidants, potassium, natural oils, and so much more goodness.
That’s why they are great tools for preventing/controlling dandruff, moisturizing your scalp, preventing split ends/hair breakage, and more! They also improve the hair’s natural elasticity, making them a sort of natural hair straightener, which is pretty amazing. Soft, straight and shiny hair – here I come!
- 1 ripe banana (2 if you have long hair)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk (you can also use coconut milk or yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)
- Place banana/bananas in a blender (very ripe bananas work best for this recipe), or use a stick blender.
- Add honey, coconut/ olive oil, and milk and blend really well until everything comes together in as one creamy consistency (make sure there are no chunks!).
- Apply the mask on hair, making sure to cover everything from the roots to the ends.
- Tie your hair into a lose bun (optionally cover it with a towel or shower cap to prevent drippage).
- Leave on for 30 minutes, rinse, shampoo, and enjoy your gorgeous locks!
– Nourishing Mayonnaise Mask With Milk And Honey
Mayonnaise on its own has been known for its moisturizing properties, and that’s because of the ingredients that go into making it like egg whites, oil, and lemon. When you combine it with milk and honey like this recipe, it creates a trio of powerful forces that help rehydrate your hair and make it soft and luscious.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1 tablespoon milk, raw
- Mix all the ingredients together in a glass bowl.
- Apply it thoroughly into your hair, covering every strand of your hair. Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Allow the mask to stay for an hour, and then shampoo your hair as usual.
2. Air Dry Whenever Possible
I know it seems like an impossible task to air dry your hair when you’re in a such a ready to get to work in the morning. But blow drying is not the best idea! For one, it can dry out your hair’s natural hydration because not only does it remove the surface moisture (i.e. water from your shower), but also the moisture that is essential to healthy hair and scalp. The heat from a blow dryer causes your hair to weaken because as it loses its moisture, it becomes rigid and breaks due to pressure.
So, try and limit the number of times you use the hair dryer. You don’t have to shower every day (in fact, its better if you don’t), so leave it for when you do have a bit of extra time. And only use a blow dryer if its absolutely essential!
3. Minimize The Amount of Hair Products You Use
Using a shit-ton of hair products is not uncommon in the modern-day woman’s life. Again, this can prove to be quite expensive but more importantly, it’s going to have the opposite effect on your locks than you wanted it to. That’s because store-bought hair products are full of chemicals. Now that isn’t always a terrible thing.
But, you shouldn’t be using so many different hair products because they will all have different chemicals and ingredients, which tend to add up, and that is a bad thing. So try and minimize the number of hair products you use. A soothing serum is your best option to handle those pesky fly-aways and repair split ends.
4. Use Restoring Conditioners Weekly
If you have to use one hair conditioner (and that’s plenty), make it a restoring conditioner and use it just once a week (you don’t have to condition every time you shampoo). Restoring conditioners are great for moisturizing dry hair and providing your scalp a good dose of weekly nutrients. They also help repair damaged hair and split ends.
You can buy a good restoring conditioner like L’Oreal’s Total Repair 5 from the store, or make your own (like one of the hair masks we mentioned earlier)!
5. Hot Oil Massage
A hot oil massage is not only soothing (and a great way to get rid of headaches), it is also extremely beneficial to your hair. You can use a bunch of different oils, depending on what you hope to achieve. Here are some of the benefits certain oils provide:
1. Olive Oil: Has anti-bacterial properties that help cleanse and restore hair damaged through chemical treatment. Also conditions and strengthens hair.
2. Almond Oil: Abundant in Vitamin E, which provides nourishment, helps prevent hair fall and smoothens hair. Almond oil gives you thick and luscious hair!
3. Coconut Oil: A great conditioner for hair; helps cleanse and moisturize your scalp as well, which promotes healthy hair growth.
You can get more information about hot oil massages here: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/pamper-your-locks-with-hot-oil-massage-to-prevent-hair-loss/